Olive Oil – Update

The centrifuge turned up today. I am going to use it to make Vegemite. Before I do, I am going use it on the product I made when trying to make olive oil, to see if it will separate all the parts. At the moment there is water, very fine particles of the olive flesh, and olive oil. There is olive oil in there somewhere. It looks to me that the the oil and the olive particulates are combined in an homogenised funk, because that is what is floating on top of what I presume is the water. There is water there because, initially I added it into the blender with the olives to help the blending process.

The problem occurred when I hit the olives too hard with a high powered blender and basically turned the olives into particles so small that they wont separate out.

The centrifuge is a low speed one which does 4000 rpm maxing out at 2395 x gravity. At that I would weigh a bit under 191600 kg.

I have skimmed the very top off the solution and added that to 2 of the tubes. I mixed the rest of the goo and water together for the other 6 tubes to see if there is a difference.

After one and a half hours there seemed to be some separation and I can see a very small amount of oil in 2 of the tubes.

But that was it, it never got any better than that.

This was a total fail. Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

Olive Oil

I found a way to turn unripe olives into a homogenised goo that smells really nice.

I found a way to turn unripe olives into a homogenised goo that smells really nice.

Bash them up with a stick and take the seeds out.

Put them in a high powered blender with some warm water. Blend. I think this is where I went wrong.

The Thermomix might be a little too high powered. It’s supposed to come out a paste. But I think my paste has a max particle size of about 10 microns. That’s to say it’s a very smooth and luxurious paste at this stage.

Put that goo into a cheese cloth and press.

Wait for it to seperate.

This where I have to stop. The oil hasn’t separated out. The liquid at the bottom is mostly water. The oil is floating on top. It has a lot of the olive still in it. This is where the over blending has caused a problem. I can’t separate out the oil.